There are many different recipes for this hot pepper and garlic paste. It originates from the Mediterranean and is classically served with fish soups and stews such as bouillabaisse but is also delicious served with any grilled or fried fish.
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, halved, deseeded and blanched in boiling water
- 1 red pepper, halved, deseeded, grilled and peeled
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tabasco sauce
Grilled asparagus & prawn
- Bunch of asparagus
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 150g Raw King prawn x 2
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Pack fresh basil
- Baby salad leaves to serve
Prepare the rouille
- Blend the garlic, chilli, green and red peppers in a food processor/liquidiser until smooth. With the motor still running, very slowly pour the oil on to the puree.
- Add the breadcrumbs to bind the sauce.
- Season to taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper and a little Tabasco.
- Trim the asparagus. Arrange 5 spears in a row and thread onto short skewers. Brush with 2 tbsp olive oil and season. BBQ or grill the asparagus for 4-5 mins, turning once, until tender.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a pan, stir in the prawns and cook for a few mins until the prawns are evenly pink. Add the lemon zest and juice. Season and heat through until bubbling.
- Place a raft of asparagus on each plate and divide the basil and salad leaves with some of the pan juices.
- Serve with the rouille on the side.