These triangular parcels of crisp, light filo pastry enclose a spicy-flavoured filling of crab and horseradish. You could also try a filling of crab, ginger, water chestnuts and sweetcorn. They look and taste wonderful and are really easy to make. Prepare them ahead for a party then bake just before serving with a sweet chilli dipping sauce.
Makes 8 parcels
- 2 x 80g White Crab Meat
- 1 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp creamed horseradish
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- 3 tbsp double cream
- Fine Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 50g butter
- 4 sheets of filo pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200C, 180C Fan, Gas Mark 6.
- Mix together the crabmeat, breadcrumbs, parsley, mustard, horseradish, cayenne, dash of Tabasco and the cream. Season with salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Melt the butter and brush over the sheets of filo pastry.
- Cut each sheet of filo into strips 5cm wide.
- Place a spoonful of filling at one end of each strip. Form a triangle by folding the right-hand corner to the opposite side, then fold the left-hand corner to the right edge. Continue folding in this way until you have reached the end of the strip of pastry.
- Brush the pastries with a little melted butter. Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.