Make sure to thoroughly pat the scallops dry with paper kitchen towel to absorb all the liquid before searing. Understanding how quickly scallops cook means you’ll never be intimidated again. They only take a few minutes to cook, that’s it! Heat an oiled skillet or pan until its sizzling. You want them to sizzle and crisp to a golden colour on the outside. The first scallop should sizzle as soon as it hits the oil. If it doesn’t, wait and let the pan continue heating before adding any more.
- 160g Raw Patagonian Scallops
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 25g unsalted butter
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Zest of 1 orange and half the juice
- Flat leaf parsley or coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 lime for garnish
- Season the scallops with a little salt and cracked black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan, add the scallops and fry for 3 minutes, turning them halfway through until lightly golden. Remove from the pan.
- Add the butter to the pan and allow to melt, add the ginger and chilli and fry for 2 minutes until softened. Add the orange juice and zest.
- Add the scallops back to the pan for the last 30 secs to soak up the citrus butter sauce.
- Serve the scallops in 2 shells or 2 serving dishes alongside the herb and lime wedge garnish.